Saturday, April 19, 2008

Apathy A Christians Greatest Battle

The world is full of turmoil, and it is causing a hindrance to many Christians. This hindrance becomes apathy, and it forces toil upon Christians daily. These words were once spoken by a wise man: "If you wanted to focus on the bad, it would be easy. There is more than enough of it. But you don't have to go around seeking it." Instantly, I realized that he was right. The news media survives on reporting the bad. Rarely do they report the good. It took me awhile to realize what a problem looking at the bad was for Christians.

From what I can tell, apathy comes from feeling that the odds are stacked overwhelmingly against you. It is common to become so overwhelmed that people begin to feel that, if nobody else cares, they shouldn't either. After all, there isn't any purpose in fighting a losing battle, right? Not standing up for what you believe in is usually due to feeling inadequate as a result of seeing the bad over the good.

At this point, fear turns into apathy and then what begins as apathy threatens to annihilate the church. It's a loss of faith, a removal of hope, and it bleeds through an entire congregation, seeping into every aspect of their lives. It is insidious, permitting Christians to yield in small areas without a guilty conscience. In no time at all, apathy can drain their will to fight.

Once, one of my good Christian friends said to me, "I'm not putting a Christian fish symbol on my car because then I would look like a hypocrite when I'm speeding." When I asked why he didn't just slow down, he said it didn't matter enough. However, I believe that it does matter, greatly.

I now believe we need faith to fight apathy, and we need hope to recall our faith. Jesus overcame what we think was impossible by knowingly being crucified for that reason. Due to the fact that He knew something greater was in store, Christ, God himself, was willing to walk through derision, laughter, torture, and eventually death, having witnessed firsthand that hope. He was given strength by the joy that was backing him.

I know that I, as well as many other Christians, have forgotten how to truly stand out in faith... Hope is something that we have forgotten. However, I'm certain that if we remembered, we would find that there is no place for apathy among Christians.

Apathy: What is it except a poison that destroys our defenses and annihilates our faith? Don't think so? Let's have a look at today's faithful, shall we?

I once heard an excellent point, which was that if everyone actually believed in God like they say, without any doubt, they wouldn't act at all as they do. In fact, they would behave so differently that the world would notice. Everything would change, including their lifestyles, attitudes, and the way they conduct business. They would behave as Christ, and the world would see it.

Apathy has turned such a pure thing as faith into meager words. Too many Christians just mouth the words, forgetting that it's their actions that convey their beliefs. And what is required is action.

What can a Christian do to avoid apathy? Stepping out in real faith, a Christian chooses hope, the hope that Christ knew was enough. One of the first symbols I donned as a hope-filled Christian was a Christian t-shirt. Though it may sound corny, that day I was a human billboard. I was very conscious of my own actions and of the reactions I witnessed. I had a more respectful tone and I noticed a dramatic improvement in my driving. Why do you think that my behavior changed? I changed simply because I chose to follow Christ and to be open with others about my affiliation. I didn't behave apathetically that day.

It is time to leave your footprints in the sand. Looking forward in hope is a way to demonstrate your strong faith. Do what you feel; put a Christian fish on your car or wear your own Christian t-shirt. Choose to help others; do volunteer work in local shelters and community-based organizations. And when you do this, know that you are a representative of Christ. Be serious about this and become someone who will make the world stand up and notice you. Never forget: "Greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world" (1 John 4:4).

When Bethany Chastain became a Christian, she wanted to share her faith and not become apathetic to the ways of Christ. So, she began looking for Christian sweatshirts and other Christian t shirts that could proclaim to the world that she belonged to God. Today, she shops C28 for her whole family, buying Christian clothing and Christian footwear.

Please Rate this Article


Source: http://www.articlemonk.com/Article/Apathy---A-Christian-s-Greatest-Battle/21306
Shopping For Clothing

No comments: